Smartphone catches fire under US girl's pillow
Saturday 01 August, 2015

Smartphone catches fire under US girl’s pillow

Published On: Tue, Jul 29th, 2014 | Telecommunications | By BioNews

In a bizarre accident, a 13-year-old girl found her Samsung Galaxy S4 burnt and melted under her pillow.

The north Texas girl kept the phone on charge and wedged her charging phone under her pillow.

Hours later, alarmed by a burning smell, she woke up and found her phone fried and pillow scorched, FOX 4 reported.

According to the girl’s father, he “suspects that the phone overheated, causing the battery to swell and start a fire”.

In a reply, Samsung officials claimed the second-hand battery in the girl’s Galaxy phone could have been part of the problem.

The company will replace the phone, the pillow and the mattress involved in the accident as “Samsung takes product quality and customer safety very seriously”, a company official told FOX 4.

“Our user manuals warn customers that phones must have adequate ventilation and airflow and should not be covered with material such as bedding,” Samsung said.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

More from Telecommunications
  • Scientists reveal breakthrough in optical fibre communications
  • App that helps you unplug without missing urgent matters
  • Want high-speed selfies? Try Instagram app
  • Now keep tab on kids’ use of smartphones with new app
  • Strap a multi-function smartphone to your arm